I.U.P.A.’s contracted Legal Defense Fund is the nation’s largest and most successful Legal Defense Fund; run by and for peace officers. The Legal Defense Fund has attorneys available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to handle emergency or critical incidents. The Legal Defense Fund has been in existence since 1974 and currently has more than 135,000 law enforcement participants. Many plans will only cover one employee in a multi-employee incident. With the Legal Defense Fund, every member gets representation. There are no co-pays, no caps, and no deductibles for covered services. The Fund is a non-profit Trust that provides legal service benefits for public safety personnel, and currently has reserves of more than $51,000,000.
I.U.P.A. Legal Defense Fund (LDF)
- Representation by an experienced criminal attorney from the first indication of potential criminal exposure (e.g. shooting, death in custody, use of force resulting in serious physical injury) arising from an act committed within the scope of employment.
- Full representation by an experienced criminal attorney from the outset of the investigation through the conclusion of trial.
- This benefit is available no matter what agency does the investigation:
- Representation by an experienced civil attorney when a peace officer is sued for an act within the scope of employment, but the employing agency refuses to defend the officer.
- When your employer defends, but does not agree to wholly indemnify you, the Legal Defense Fund will provide an experienced attorney to monitor your case. This means that the attorney is available to answer your questions about the case, review the pleadings and discovery, watch for conflicts between you and your employer, and monitor for inadequate representation.
- You will be provided with independent counsel by the Legal Defense Fund if there is:
- A legal conflict of interest between you and your employer;
- Inadequate representation by your employer;
- A considerable likelihood that punitive damages could be awarded against you; or,
- If your employer refuses to represent you for an act or omission within the scope of your employment.
There are no co-pays, no caps, and no deductibles for covered services.
The Legal Defense Fund also offers the following Customary and Usual services:
- Expert Witnesses
- Polygraph examiners
- Court Reporters
- Conflict Coverage (separate counsel when needed)
Administrative Disciplinary Investigations
- The I.U.P.A. Local 6020 provides full attorney representation for members who are a subject employee in an administrative disciplinary investigation.
Collective Bargaining and Grievances
- The I.U.P.A. Local 6020 provides a full time experienced labor attorney for collective bargaining agreement negotiations, consultation and representation in the grievance and arbitration process.
Workers Compensation, Heart and Lung Bill, and PTSD Attorneys
- Alex Dell
- Paul Kelly
Family Law and Civil Litigation Attorney Discount
Kimberly Schultz, P.A.
Attorney at Law
Phone: (786) 344-9483
Broward Office: 900 South State Rd 7, Plantation, Florida 33317 (I.U.P.A. Local 6020 Union Office)
Attorney Kimberly Schultz has more than a decade of experience practicing law. She received her Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from Florida International University. She then earned her Master’s Degree in Criminal Justice from Florida International University. Finally, she obtained her Juris Doctorate from Nova Southeastern, and got right to work serving clients in the practice of law. Attorney Schultz is FDLE Certified. She is a member in good standing of the Florida State Bar Association, and a member of the Florida Bar Family Law Division. Although Attorney Schultz primarily practices in Miami-Dade County and Broward County, she handled cases all over the State of Florida and will continue to handle a case anywhere in Florida when it is required for the client. To best serve her clients, she has offices in Miami and Broward. Attorney Schultz offers a discounted rate for I.U.P.A. Local 6020 members.
Attorney Schultz focuses her areas of practice on the following:
- Foreclosure Defense
- Civil Litigation
- Landlord Tenant Disputes
- Condo/ Homeowners Association Defense
- Child Support
- Prenuptial Agreements